To say the digital age has transformed photography is an understatement. The speed with which you can go from clicking to sharing your pictures is extraordinary. The mobile phones and digital cameras we carry around act as both still and video cameras, producing images of a quality that would have been unimaginable not long ago, and at a significantly cheaper price.
The opportunity to communicate with our customers using pictures and video has also expanded, including your website, social media and email campaigns. Like every activity in small business, we need to consider the amount of time and money we can afford to put into it. Once we’ve decided how much time, we also need a strategy to make the best use of that time, both in terms of the quantity and quality of our output.
How important is visual communication for your business? If you’re in tourism, accommodation, hospitality, the arts or retail, the answer is very important. People like to see what you offer. If you’d like to get more out of your photography, this is the webinar for you.
- Getting started. What have I got? What do I need?
- Cameras. Smartphones vs. consumer digital cameras vs. semi-pro and pro options.
- More tools. Lightboxes, softboxes, tripods and steady mounts can all help you improve the quality of your pictures, depending on the circumstances.
- Image quality. Image size, colour and file formats all play a role in the quality of your images. Where you are going to use the image affects the quality of image that you’re going to need.
- What are you taking? Products, places or people? How does the subject matter impact on the approach you take?
- How and where am I going to use the images? Is posed perfection or stylish spontaneity what I’m looking for?
- What's the story I'm trying to tell?
- No time for photography? What about stock photography?
- Editing your photos. Cropping, resizing, enhancing, styling and handling text. What software is available and what’s best for me?
- Managing files. Getting organised with a workflow for handling your files is crucial to making the most of your time and knowing where to find them when the time comes. What file formats should I be using in the digital space?
- Composition and lighting, colour and effects. You don’t become a master photographer overnight, but with a thoughtful approach, you can make your photos better.
- Further resources and reading. Photography and videography are deep and broad subjects. While the webinar will introduce you to the main concepts, further research and learning will help bring your pictures to life.
When and where?
Thursday, 11th February at 9:30am.
This is an online webinar presented by the ASBAS Digital Solutions Program. The webinar will be delivered via Zoom. Registrations close at 9:00am Thursday morning and once closed, we’ll email the Zoom link out to all registered participants. To be eligible for this free webinar you must be a Tasmanian small business with an ABN.
Image by Brooke Lark on Unsplash.Book your spot